Wednesday, October 4, 2006

week 3 at the daycare...teaching the toddlers


‘am settling in at the new job, with my duties & responsibilities. Here’s a photo of the kids, and the classroom. In my class, there’s Damarius, Brian, Nathan, Olivia, LaTrelle, Mari, Anthony and Telly. I am really loving spending the time with the kids—theyre all between 15 to 22 mos., which to me is the ideal, “most fun” age. As far as the work, its an easy routine of play, meal, nap, diaper change, play, repeat. The hardest part i’m having is getting my system to adjust to what Every schoolteacher knows,,,,that groups of kids this age are a walking plethora of every ear / nose / throat & cold virus known to man. I’ve loaded up on vitamins, gargling with antibacterial mouthwash & swabbing my nose & ears with neosporin,,,,,but i’ve already had to take 2 days off sick, and am running slight fever right now (just under 99.9). As someone who never caught cold bugs, its been a rude awakening…
But i really enjoy working/playing with the kids, figuring out ways to connect with each one, developing strategies to teach them to play nice, share…help them with their feelings when mom leaves, or they need a time-out, or to unwind enough to go to sleep. In one of those odd synchronicities, i think i need them as much as they might need me....

No comments: